Imagen banner [title-raw]
Castle
Imagen banner [title-raw]
Castle
Imagen banner [title-raw]
Castle
Imagen banner [title-raw]
Castle
Imagen banner [title-raw]
Albacares interior y exterior
Imagen banner [title-raw]
Castle
Imagen banner [title-raw]

Structure of the Castle and reception building

The city-fortress was composed of two spaces. On the one hand, the civil city or fortified medina at the first line of wall and, on the other, the castle or political-military city.

The castle is divided into two different areas: the first would be the albacara or square (second line of wall), and in turn divided into two parts: the albacara or inner square and the external square. The second area located inside the fortress is the Alcazaba, the official residence of the sultan or governor, situated in the upper part of the Castle, forming the third line of wall.

The building located at the entrance of the castle is the front desk or reception area for visitors. It was erected by the Carmelite friars in the early 20th century and worked as a colony school between 1920 and 1950 –only interrupted its functions during the Spanish Civil War.

For the construction of the building, Carmelite friars took the already existing main cistern of the Arabic castle structure, which supplied water to the inhabitants of the fortress.

  • Comunitat Valenciana
  • European Union