Imagen banner [title-raw]
Imagen banner [title-raw]
Church of the Assumption
Imagen banner [title-raw]
Church of the Assumption
Imagen banner [title-raw]
Church of the Assumption
Imagen banner [title-raw]
Church of the Assumption

Church of the Assumption

Onda’s monumental status has on the Iglesia de la Asunción one of its most significant works. The church has a Latin-cross floor plan with a single nave and features the Chapel of the Communion –of Greek-cross floor plan– on the east side. Behind it, there is the squared-plan bell tower and the courtyard that gives access to the eastern side of the church, which was originally the entrance to the primitive former Gothic church.

The present church, whose façade follows a Neo-baroque style, was erected in 1727 on the site of an earlier one.  The original church, built in the 14th century, suffered a devastating fire on December 18, 1467, which rapidly destroyed almost the entire temple apart from the bell tower that still stands today.

Its façade has two doorways, the main one is from 1854 and the one of the Chapel of the Communion is from 1753. The sculpture of the Assumption standing in the niche of the doorway was destroyed in 1936. This work, as well as the inside sculptural ornamentation, are made by of Ochando Almazora, though other sources attribute it to Nicolas Busi. The history of this temple gathers several reconstructions, the most recent one in 1939.

Inside we highlight the frescoes of the dome of Charles Maroti and the masterpiece of the sculptor Folia de Sant Jordi, who came to Onda attracted by the magic of its pottery and died before having completed his work. This pupil and friend of the famous sculptor Auguste Rodin, was commissioned the altarpiece and the lateral panels.

 
 
  • Comunitat Valenciana
  • European Union